FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BPS-17, UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2012
ENGLISH (PRECIS &ComPosmoN)
1:1 Choose the word that is nearly similar in meaning to the word in capital letters. Synonyms
|(a) Secret||(b) Reinforcement||(c) Difficulty||(d) Opening|
|(a) Hot||(b) Soft||(c) Icy cold||(d) Hard|
|(a) Corrupt||(b) Poor||(c) Proud||(d) Luxuriant|
|(a) Large number||(b) Variety||(c) Shades of colours||(d) Being true|
|(a) Agreement||(b) Coin||(c) Column||(d) Small amount|
- Choose the word that is nearly most opposite in meaning to the Capitalized (Do only Five) Extra attempt of any Part of the question shall not be considered.
|(a) Abhor||(b) Disdain||(c) Demolish||(d) Admire|
|(a) Strange||(b) Poor||(c) Master||(d) Ignorant|
|(a) Decline||(b) Entrance||(c) Rude||(d) Angry|
|(a) Punish||(b) Study||(c) Separate||(d) Reduce|
|(a) Silly||(b) Tasty||(c) Active||(d) Thin|
- Correct the following sentences:
(a) A ten-feet long snake made people run here and there.
(13! We are going to the concert, and so they are.
(c) Enclosed with this letter was a signed affidavit and a carbon copy of his request to our mail office.
- Fear from God.
- Pakistan has and will support the Kashmiris.
- He has come yesterday.
- Arshad’s downfall was due to nothing else than pride.
- Do not avoid-to consult a doctor.
- A ten-foot long snake made people run here and there.
- We are going to the concert, and so are they.
- Enclosed with this letter were a signed Affidavit and a carbon copy of his request to our main
- Fear God.
- Pakistan had been and will be supporting the Kashmiris.
- He came yesterday.
- Arshad’s downfall was due to nothing else but pride.
- Do not avoid consulting a doctor.
❑ Use the following idioms in sentences to make their meaning clear:
|1.||Wool gathering||2.||Under the harrow|
|3.||Cold comfort||4.||A gold digger|
|5.||Walk with God||6.||On the thin ice|
|7.||A queer fish||8.||Unearthly hour|
Meaning: To be daydreaming; not concentrating.
Use in sentence: Sarah was gathering wool most of the day, dreaming about that she had a really big house.
- Under the harrow
Meaning: in distress, upset, troubled
Use in sentence: Asjad has lost his job and is under the harrow nowadays.
- Cold comfort
Meaning: Slight consolation or encouragement
Use in sentence: She knows there are others worse off than her, but that’s cold comfort.
- A gold digger
Meaning: A woman who associates with or marries a man chiefly for material gain
Use in sentence: I’m not saying she’s a gold digger, but how come all her friends have been rich?
- Walk with God –
Meaning: to live in obedience to His commands, and have communion with Him
Use in sentence: The Saints like Data Ali Hajvery walk with God as they whole of their lives. . they obeyed His commands.
- On the thin ice
Meaning: In a risky situation, endangered
Use in sentence: If you don’t want to find yourself on thin ice, you must be sure of your facts.
- A queer fish
Meaning: strange and unusual
Use in sentence: Some of the characters described as “queer fish” in old novels are called “weird” these days.
- Unearthly hour —
Meaning: Absurdly early or inconvenient
Use in sentence: We got up at an unearthly hour this morning so we could go camping.