FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BPS-17, UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2013
❑ Select the best option and fill in the appropriate box on the Answer Sheet:
- The International Day of Peace, sometimes unofficially known as World Peace Day, is
observed annually on:
(a) 21st September (b) 23rd September (c) 12th October (d) None of these
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women is observed annually on:
(a) 25th December (b) 23rd November (c) 25th November (d) None of these
- International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed annually on:
(a) 23rd May (b) 21st March (c) Olst March (d) None of these
- Martin Luther King, Jr. was a clergyman, activist, and leader. He is famous for:
- Civil Rights Movement using non-violent civil disobedience in USA.
- Civil Rights Movement using violence in South Africa.
- Civil Rights Movement using violent civil disobedience in India.
- Civil Rights Movement using non-violence in Costa Rica.
- Which of the following Country has absolutely no military forces?
(a) Costa Rica (b) Japan (c) Iceland (d) None of these
- NATO Headquarters are located in:
(a) Birmingham (b) Barcelona (c) Baltimore (d) None of these
Note: NATO Headquarters are located at Brussels, Belgium.
- The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) is an organization of
South Asian nations. Which of the following countries is not a member of SAARC?
(a) Maldives (b) Myanmar (c) Bhutan (d) None of these
- The UN uses the Human Development Index to:
- Predict, in order to prevent, which countries are most likely to engage in ethnic cleansing.
- Demonstrate how well country is providing for its people’s welfare and security.
- Predict the percentage of displaced people that will leave a failed state.
- Prove that the Global South is not as poor as some have argued.
- . Which of the following states has not ratified the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT)?
(a) Canada (b) France (c) United States (d) None of these
- The most significant greenhouse gas is:
(a) Ozone (b) Chlorofluorocarbons
(c) Carbon Dioxide (d) None of these
- An index that estimates the true rate of exchange among currencies is called:
(a) Human Development Index (b) Purchasing Power Parity
(c) Exchange Rate (d) None of these
- The idea that leaders initiate foreign conflicts in order to distract public opinion from controversial domestic policies is called:
(a) Diversionary Theory of War (b) Democratic Peace Theory
(c) Autocratic Rule (d) None of these
- The lowest percentage of Internet users is found in: (a) North America (b) Africa (c) Australia (d) None of these
- The most prosperous members of the Global South, which have become important exporters and markets for the major industrialized countries, are known as:
(a) Newly-industrialized countries (b) Developed nations
(c) Asian Tigers (d) None of these
- In International Relations, a global system containing two dominant powers is labelled with which of the following terms?
(a) Bipolar (b) Nationalist (c) Isolationist (d) None of these
- The Axis Powers in World War II did not include: (a) Germany (b) Soviet Union (c) Italy (d) Japan
- The proposition that a single dominant power can promote world peace comes from____
(a) Balance-of-power (b) Socialist
(c) HeEemonic stability (d) None of these
- The US ambassador, J. Christopher Stevens was killed by militants in: (a) Tripoli, Libya (b) Misrata, Libya (c) Benghazi, Libya (d) None of these
- ___________ explains how rational self-interested behaviour by individuals may have a
destructive collective effect.
(a) Tragedy of the commons (b) Population implosion
(c) Carrying capacity (d) None of these
- The process through which a country increases its capacity to meet its citizens’ basic human needs and raise their standard of living is known as:
(a) Self-determination (b) Democratization
(c) Development (d) None of these